UK Standard Visitor Visa
What Is A UK Standard Visitor Visa?
A UK Standard Visitor Visa is for people who reside outside the UK and the EEA/Switzerland who want to come to the UK for a short visit such as a holiday, business trip, sporting event, to receive private medical treatment and such like.
UK Standard Visitor Visa Replaces Other Similar Visas
The Standard Visitor Visa replaces a number of other similar visas:
- Family Visitor visa
- General Visitor visa
- Child Visitor visa
- Business Visitor visa, including visas for academics, doctors and dentists
- Sports Visitor visa
- Entertainer Visitor visa
- Prospective Entrepreneur visa
- Private Medical Treatment Visitor visa
- Approved Destination Status (ADS) visa
UK Standard Visitor Visa And UK Right Of Abode
UK Standard Visitor Visa And Visiting The UK On Business
If you intend to visit the UK for business purposes you can apply for a Standard Visitor Visa. Business related activities include activities such as:
- to attend conferences, meetings, training
- to obtain business funding to start, join, run or take over a business in the UK
- to participate in sports-related events
- to perform – entertainer, musician, artist etc
- for academic purposes – to conduct research, accompany students on a study abroad program and so on
- as a dentist or doctor to take up a clinical attachment or observer post
- to sit the the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test or sit the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE)
A complete list of business activities allowed with a Standard Visitor Visa can be found here.
UK Standard Visitor Visa – How Long Can You Stay
A Standard Visitor Visa allows you to take part in any of the following activities:
- business-related activities as per the Visitor Rules
- limited study – 30 days maximum but study cannot be the primary purpose of your visit
- educational visit (must be under 18 years of age) or exchange program
- convert a civil partnership to a marriage
You cannot do any of the following whilst in the UK on a Standard Visitor Visa:
- work – either paid or unpaid
- make frequent visits for the purposes of living in the UK for extended periods of time
- marry or register a civil partnership
- give notice of marriage or a civil partnership
- get access to public funds
More information about the activities a Standard Visitor Visa does and doesn’t allow can be found here or you can contact us for guidance.
UK Standard Visitor Visa – Long-term Visit Visas
Long-term visit visas for 2, 5 or 10 years are available to persons who can demonstrate that they need to visit the UK on a regular basis over a longer period of time. However, the duration of each visit is still 6 months maximum.
Persons under 18 years of age can apply for a long-term visit visa but the visa will only be valid for up to 6 months after they turn 18. See here for more information about applying for Standard Visitor Visa if you’re under 18 years of age.