UK Family Visa
What Is A Remain In The UK With Family Visa?
The UK Family Of A Settled Person Visa allows family members from outside the EEA and Switzerland to visit, for 6 months or more, another family member or partner living in the UK permanently.
The visa covers several different categories of family visitors including those wishing to:
- Apply to join family living permanently in the UK (applicant must be residing outside the UK and EEA / Switzerland to apply) – called a Family Of A Settled Person Visa.
- Apply to remain in the UK with family (applicant is already in the UK and wishes to extend their existing visa or switch from another visa) – called a Remain In The UK With Family Visa.
Remain In The UK With Family Visa – Applying To Extend Or Switch To A Family Of A Settled Person Visa
The Remain In The UK With Family visa is essentially the extension of the Family Of A Settled Person Visa. In other words, when you become eligible to apply to extend your Family Of A Settled Person Visa or switch to this visa from another visa, you will be applying for a ‘Remain in the UK with family visa’. You apply for this visa if you want to remain in the UK with your partner / spouse / civil partner or child and you are:
- Already living in the UK on a Family Of A Settled Person Visa or another eligible visa
- Not from the EEA or Switzerland
Your family member must be any one of the following:
- A British citizen
- Someone who has settled in the UK permanently
- Someone who has asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK
If your child or children have been living in the UK for 7 or more years you may also apply to remain with them.
Help With Extending (Or Switching To) A Remain In The UK With Family Visa
Trying to complete an application to extend, or switch to, a Remain In The UK With Family Visa on your own is an involved and somewhat confusing process. For a start, there are several routes or categories available and you must choose one of these:
- The 2-year route
- The 5-year route
- The 10-year route
Each of these routes has different eligibility requirements and will affect how long it takes before you will be eligible to apply to settle permanently in the UK. However, this is where a service from our Immigration Solicitors can be of great assistance to you. We will take the time to:
- Explain each of these routes in detail to you, including eligibility criteria, inclusion of dependents i.e children and other important information as all of these vary between routes,
- Explain the consequences of choosing one route over another,
- Help you determine which route is going to be the best one for you to take.
Additionally, we will:
- Go through your application with you and provide you with a detailed review of the strengths and weaknesses of your application
- Help with the compilation of supporting documents you need to submit as per the Remain In The UK With Family Visa document checklist to ensure everything is supplied
- Professionally prepare, complete and lodge your visa application for you. That way you’ll know you’ve submitted the correct form for the route you’ve chosen, that it’s been done professionally, completely and complies with UK immigration laws. This will give you the best possible chance of succeeding in your application to remain with your family member or child in the UK
- Provide you with 24/7 access to an online case management system that will allow you to keep track of your visa application progress.
Remain In The UK With Family Visa Exceptions
There are also a number of exceptions, which may apply to you – contact us to find out what these exceptions are and whether they are applicable in your circumstances.